TELUS has just released the upgrade path for several phones in their handset portfolio. This includes many of their Android handsets. Some of the phones being slated for upgrades are phones that have been lagging behind in terms of firmware versions but for a few of these upgrade paths are very interesting in that they are to receive Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
Here's a breakdown of the TELUS Android phones to be upgraded:
- Motorola Milestone - currently running Android 2.1 Éclair - to be upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo very soon, possibly days
- Samsung Galaxy Apollo - currently running Android 2.1 Éclair - to be upgraded to Android 2.2 Froyo in Second Quarter of 2011
- LG Shine Plus - currently running Android 2.1 Éclair - to be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread in late Second Quarter/early Third Quarter of 2011
- HTC Desire - currently running Android 2.2 Froyo - to be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread in Second Quarter of 2011
- HTC Desire HD - currently running Android 2.2 Froyo - to be upgraded to Android 2.3 Gingerbread in Second Quarter of 2011
As you can see the two first handsets, especially the Milestone, have been lagging WAY behind as they are still sporting Android 2.1 and will only be getting Froyo, but at least it's something!
The Milestone should get its update within the next few days as Engadget is reporting that European Motorola Milestones are getting their Froyo update as we speak. On somewhat of an odd note there is a caution on the Motorola page for the European upgrade page that says; "users may experience some adverse effects associated with the upgrade which could include slower operation of some phone functions and applications."
I imagine the same warning will make it to the Canadian update. It could definitely be a factor that made the upgrade take so long to test compared to the Motorola DROID, the CDMA cousin of the Motorola Milestone. When comparing the DROID to the Milestone the only glaring difference aside from the CDMA and GSM radios is that the
[Edit:]Thanks to the comment of a diligent reader, it has come to my attention that the Milestone in fact runs stock Android and not MotoBlur.
The other important part of this piece of news is that the rock solid HTC Desire and its successor the HTC Desire HD both currently running Android 2.2 Froyo will be receiving Android 2.3 Gingerbread as early as this spring.
This is great news for all Android users who own TELUS devices.
One notable omission is the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate and upcoming Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 4G. Hopefully Those will get a speedy upgrade to Gingerbread as well.
Sources: MobileSyrup, Motorola